Italy - ancient and modern
Ursula E. and Martin Benad
Trompe-l´oeil: Italy - ancient and modern
For centuries Italy has exuded a mythical aura: in no other country do antiquity and modernity, history, art, landscape, and the graceful art of living seem to merge and coexist with such simple elegance as in this land steeped in over two millennia of cultural heritage.
The climate, the landscape, the cuisine, and the conviviality of the inhabitants make it a rich source of visual imagery. In this third volume in their trompe l’oeil practice series, Ursula E. and Martin Benad paint an inspiring picture of Italy ancient and modern and, drawing on the diverse aspects of its traditions, provide a rich cornucopia of ideas for creating striking interiors.
The Benads cover:
- how to design and build up a landscape step-by-step;
- how to create authentic-looking antique frescoes;
- the essential components for creating Pompeian motifs
- Tuscan landscapes for kitchen and dining areas
- and Venetian vistas for luxurious bathrooms;
- how to create a “Mediterranean” atmosphere; and much more.
The book is a treasure trove of pictorial motifs, painting technique, and design ideas, and it offers a wealth of useful advice on using trompe l’oeil painting in a way that is practical and at the cutting edge of modern-day design.